Posted by : Halima Khait Thursday, December 01, 2005

Okay, I'm going to attempt a more personal entry once again (I hope I don't bore everybody to death this time around). Last spring, I was hanging out with a group of about 15 people in which I was one of two persons of color. As our time together was coming to an end, one of the group members began quoting Dave Chappelle. He got to a line that contained the word, n***a...you can imagine the tightness in my chest while I waited to hear if he would say it. I'm not going to go into the rest but let's just say the night ended and I was not a happy camper. My point in recounting this story is to remind everybody to simply think before they open their mouths. It's one of those principles we're taught early on by our parents; obviously some people need a refresher course. The world would be a much better place if people were more sensitive towards others. And to all of my many extremely talented friends who have the potential to be in the public eye, always think about the consequences of your actions. You never know who your audience will be so it's better to keep sensitive topics confined within a safe space. Going back to the Chappelle example, it is all fun and games until something like what happened to me happens.

One Response so far.

  1. this young woman from sri lanka asked our english class why black people use the word nigga so much. so i told her i use it because im tired of people telling me how i need to behave and what i need to speak like to conform to their box marked intelligent. it's wild though cause ive never been in a group of fifteen, eighe or ten white people and i wonder if my feelings about the word would change if i was around white folks who thought my free use of the word gave them free use as well. it seems like the black belt still exists, except today its just certain areas of the nations cities as well as rural regions, and within the black belt certain things are taken as acceptable without thought, but maybe, if i was to spend a lot of time outside of the black belt, and find myself enjoying the company of a bunch of white people, i would wonder at the fondness i have for a word that when coming out of a white person's mouth messes with my day. anyway you got me thinking.

    dwayne

- Copyright © LIVity - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -