Posted by : Unknown Thursday, January 05, 2006

I apologize for coming back from my leave of absence still droning on about priorities but it has to be done. My generation of African Americans has become too complacent with its status. We do not realize that we are just coming up...as recently as 50 years ago (I'm talking about our parents here) we were not given the opportunity to live so luxuriously. For real, we need to get it together and invest in something worthwhile. We can't keep laying up on our parents; the only reason they have given us what they have is because their parents couldn't do it for them. We can not become complacent. We have to continue in the tradition of making life better for each successive generation. I want to share a story: About two months ago I was running to class and was oblivious to anything going on in the lobby of the building I was in. As I got on the elevator, I noticed this old woman just as the doors were closing. She could not even stand without balancing herself on tables or whatever was around yet she was dusting the wood in the lobby. She was well past retirement age but obviously she had to work because somebody in her family still relied on her. My point in telling this story is that our ancestors understood what was important in life. These people worked hard for something they knew they would probably never benefit from but they did it for us. We have to continue the tradition

"I know I can't afford to stop for a moment, that it's too soon to forget" -Mos Def

- Copyright © LIVity - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -