Posted by : Unknown Friday, July 24, 2015


I know the Sandra Bland story broke over a week ago, but I'm still going to talk about it today because although I still don't have the words to describe how I'm feeling, I know I may never have them. I apologize in advance if this isn't as comprehensive as my other posts, but like I said, I'm putting out thoughts I need to say, but that I in no way understand.

With all the random shootings and senseless deaths from police brutality, I've started trying to maintain a safe distance from these incidents that seem to be happening nearly every day. It's something like PTSD, trying to protect my fragile mental by breaking emotional ties. So I'll admit, though I knew about Sandra Bland, I didn't look into the details of the case until around last Tuesday when the police officer's dashboard video was released.

Let me just say, was she rude when speaking with the officer? Yes. But I can't help but think about a similar incident I had when an officer was tailgating me as we were both trying to get around a patch of traffic driving so slow and erratic, it could have caused an accident. As soon as we got around these cars, he pulled me over. I hadn't been speeding and I'd used my turn signal with every lane change. When he walked up to the car, I was naturally irritated because not only had I done everything legally, he had been right behind me making the same moves.  I really had to check my attitude at the door and I'm glad I did because as we now see, apparently being irritated and a bit rude is now punishable by death.

And for those that believe the report of the authorities, that Bland killed herself, I challenge you to look into this young lady's life. Check out some of the video blogging she did.  The media is trying to put a spin on it that she may have suffered from mild depression, but really who doesn't? Especially this day in age when we're constantly bombarded with bad news. And as her videos show, she was very in tune with current events. This was a person who had a passion for what's right and good, a passion for improving the lives of those around her. Sandra Bland would not have snuffed her light out over the very injustice she was fighting against. 

And since we're being completely honesty, she may not have reacted to the police officer the way she had if hadn't been up in arms about America having declared it open killing season against brown people.  If you're going to be upset that she was irritated with the officer, take it a step further and be upset that there's a reason for brown people to be untrusting and irritated with law enforcement.  Don't be upset at the Black Lives Matter campaign, take it a step further and be upset that race-motivated killings have made a need for the movement.

I guess that's all for now. I have to get ready to drive home, wish me luck.

~With ♥ from Halima

www.facebook.com/hklivity   www.instagram.com/midnytebloom   twitter.com/midnytebloom

- Copyright © LIVity - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -